- Senior Lawyer opportunity in Planning, Environment and Government
- Global law firm - Sydney CBD office
- Minimum 4 years' specialist experience in NSW planning law
About Dentons Australia
In Australia, Dentons have offices across Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide. Our expertise, attitude and accessibility attract many of Australasia's most successful and innovative organisations as well as leading multinationals.
Our lawyers are repeatedly recognised as leading legal service providers in Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR 1000. Many of our partners are consistently recognised in each of these directories and in Best Lawyers International: Australia. Dentons has also been recognised on multiple occasions as Lawyers weekly Diversity law firm of the year and has also been recognised as a top 50 Australian employer for workplace diversity and inclusion.
Planning, Environment & Government Lawyer opportunity
Our Planning, Environment & Government practice is looking for a dedicated Senior Associate/Senior Lawyer with a minimum of 4 years' specialist experience in NSW planning law to assist in this busy and fast paced practice.
The Dentons Planning, Environment & Government practice is a leader in resolving complex and novel environmental and planning issues for greenfield and infill development projects. Our practice leaders are recognised by their peers as Best Lawyers in this field.
The team advises high profile corporate developer and council clients and you will be an integral part of this process. Matters include the rezoning of land, the grant and implementation of development consents, voluntary planning agreements, compulsory acquisition, land valuation, Land and Environment Court appeals and judicial review matters, enforcement/remedial action and other public law issues in the context of urban development.
You will be exposed to the full spectrum of matters that the team deals with, and will run your own matters, working with both partners. You will work closely with other solicitors in the team and receive valuable mentoring and support from the team's two partners.
What you will be doing:
- Working on litigation matters from standard class 1 to complex class 4 and class 5 matters in the Land and Environment Court
- Managing client briefings and court proceedings
- Taking the lead in managing matters and delegating to solicitors
- Supporting partners to mentor, train and develop staff
- Working toward gaining recognition as an expert in the field of planning law
- Staying up to date with developments in planning law
- Providing timely, complex commercial and legally accurate advice
- Drafting and negotiating voluntary planning agreements
- Working with lawyers from different practice groups across the firm
- Building and maintaining internal and external networks
- Developing relationships with clients, and supporting partners to develop relationships
You will be passionate about what you do, keen to progress in your career and embrace the opportunities that we will provide to you.
You will have:
- A minimum of 4 years PQE in NSW planning and environment law
- Solid client and matter management skills
- A high degree of technical ability
- A strong grasp of general commercial legal principles
- Great communication skills - both written and verbal
- Superior time management skills and the ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Strong team orientation and a collaborative approach
What we can offer you:
Dentons Australia focuses on the three key areas of talent management: engagement, development, and culture to motivate, develop our talent to deliver excellence for our clients.
We offer competitive market salary packaging, incentive pay and reward, salary sacrifice packaging, additional leave programs (purchased leave, paid parental leave) and referral bonuses.
We offer a number of health and wellbeing programs and we promote diversity initiatives across gender, flexible work practices, culture and LGBTI.
Please include a brief cover letter, current CV and academic transcripts.
Dentons has an internal talent acquisition team that works directly with candidates on all of our career opportunities. Dentons does not accept external agency applications for this role.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates that meet the requirements of this position will be contacted.